The Newcomers programme is a one-year scheme endorsed by The Lord Mayor of the City of London and the Governor of the Bank of England. It is intended for businesses starting out or wanting to take a more strategic approach to their existing activities.
In this programme you will define what being a 'responsible business' means for your company, design a structure and strategy for your responsible business activities and build your networks to ensure your business thrives by creating long term value for its stakeholders and society.
All Newcomers must demonstrate their commitment to the programme and why they are unable to afford the main membership fee through a short application form. Each company may benefit from the Newcomers programme once. The cost of each Newcomer place is covered by a generous gift from the City of London Corporation and its charitable arm - the City Bridge Trust.
Sections on this page:
- How to apply
- Business benefits
- The programme is for you if...
- What will you do
- The small print
- Further information
Hear from our network about the benefits of the Newcomers programme and the impact it had on their businesses. Click on the video below.
Discover the Newcomers programme
Applications for the 2017 Newcomers programme will be open from September 2016 onwards.
To read the small print before you apply, click here.
For more information on our other membership levels and services please click on the options below:
- You are an individual in a company with little or no experience of social and environmental responsibility
- You are a small to medium size business (5-250 employees) or a larger organisation which wishes to further develop your responsible business practises
- You have ad-hoc activities but no strategic approach to social and environmental issues
- Your company has a desire to succeed in the long-term, develop and attract the best employees
- Your company is committed to improving its contribution to its stakeholders and its wider community
- Your company is committed to manage its impact on the environment
The Newcomers programme offers:
- Up to 20 hours of responsible business training through workshops, networking events and progress meetings
- Access to support via our online library of tools and social and environmental responsibility mentoring
By joining you will:
- Get practical help from a community of social and environmental responsibility experts
- Access support to set up your strategy and programmes cost-effectively
- Join a supportive community of nearly 800 like-minded businesses (and counting)
- Network with peers and thought-leaders in the responsible business field
- Receive independent recognition for your commitment to responsible business practice
We will provide you with the knowledge, resources and network you need to establish your approach to social and environmental responsibility through:
- Hands-on workshops
- Mentoring with experienced social and environmental responsibility professionals
- Support from a dedicated Heart of the City manager
- Access to online responsible business best practice tools, resources and usable templates
- Progress reports to help your social and environmental responsibility planning and development
To be selected on the Newcomers programme, you will need to meet the following criteria:
1. You are located in London.
2. Your business has 10 employees or more and operates in the for-profit private sector (i.e. is not a charity or social enterprise)
3. Your business has not already been part of the Newcomers programme
4. Your company is ready to commit to the duration of the programme and report to Heart of the City through two short reporting surveys. Companies which do not attempt to complete the final reporting survey, which is a requirement by our funders, may be invoiced for the full cost of the programme (up to £2,500)
The Newcomers programme offers one year of free support to a limited number of businesses presently not able to put resources towards building their social and environmental programmes.
What is next after one year?
After a year, participants in the Newcomers programme can continue their membership with us.
Participants which have extensive knowledge and expertise can also volunteer as Contributors, to support others by sharing their insight through a range of volunteering opportunities.
If you require support but are not eligible for our Newcomers programme, we are still happy to hear from you and offer you different levels of membership. For more information on our other membership levels and services please click on the options below: